170115L.Asisat-Oshoala.jpg - 170115L.Asisat-Oshoala.jpg
Asisat Oshoala
When in August the Falconets arrived Canada for the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, many Nigerian soccer fans were counting on the track record of the likes of Desire Oparanozie, Cynthia Uwak and Ebere Orji for the country to make an appreciable impact at the tournament. But it was 20-year old Asisat Oshoala that stood out and unsurprisingly carted away both the golden boot and bronze of the tournament. The Nigeria Football Federation wasted no time in elevating her to the senior national team. At the 2014 African Women Championship (AWC), in Windhoek, Namibia, she did not disappoint as she inspired the Super Falcons to winning the tournament for the ninth time. Since then, there has been no turning back for the Ikorodu born footballer. Therefore, last Thursday at the Glo-CAF Awards ceremony, the African football governing body could only have committed a suicide if it announced another name other than Oshoala as the African Woman Player of the Year. In a chat with Kunle Adewale after being declared winner, Oshoala revealed how much the award would inspire her to greater heights in her chosen career and many more…
Many Nigerians glued to their television sets
Hoping that Super Eagles safe hand, Vincent Enyeama would make history last Thursday by becoming the first goalkeeper in 28 years to be voted African Footballer of the Year after Morocco Badu Zaki's feat were however not totally disappointed as Asisat Oshola made up for Enyeama's loss. She was clearly the biggest winner of the night, carting home two awards- the African Woman Player of the Year and also won the Youth Player of the Year award.
"The two awards mean a lot to me and indeed my career and it will also encourage me to work harder knowing I could win more accolades with extra efforts and perseverance. I however thank God and all the people who voted for me. I promise to keep the flag flying," an obviously elated Oshoala said.

The Super Falcons will be one of the three African countries going to 2015 World Cup in Canada in June and she is hoping she would be part of the team and that Nigeria would perform well at the tourney.
"Being voted African best player does not translate to an automatic shirt for me in the Super Falcons squad to Canada 2015 World Cup. I will appreciate to be in the squad and also make a good impact as it is the dream of every player to represent her country at the senior World Cup which is the pinnacle of football," Oshoala said.
In spite of several offers from foreign clubs, Oshola is not in a hurry to leave the shores of the country for professional football abroad.
"Before now many foreign clubs have been on my trail especially after the U-20 Women's Championship in Canada but I'm not in a hurry to leave Rivers Angels yet. For me to be recognised by FIFA and CAF shows the quality and competitiveness of female football in Nigeria. For now, my focus is on how to do well for the Super Falcons in Canada in June and establish myself as a renowned footballer. After then, I can be thinking of plying my trade abroad," the midfielder noted.
Her coach at both club and national team, Edwin Okon, indeed believe the CAF awards won by the Super Falcon and Oshoala would be crucial at the upcoming FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada.
The Falcons won the women's national team of the year at the 2014 Glo/Caf awards.
Okon said the African performance award was a huge challenge for the side to further prove their worth at the world stage when football hostilities start in Canada in June.
"The CAF awards to Oshoala and Super Falcons are good omens for better things to come, especially at the upcoming FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada. Winning the best national team in Africa is no mean feat and same goes for Oshoala's emergence as the best player as well as youth player for 2014.
"The awards are wake-up calls for us to work harder as Nigeria will be the target at the World Cup among their opponents. We would like to excel at the world stage to prove to doubters that the recognition of our performance in Africa is well deserved and not a fluke," said the Rivers Angels head coach.
Oshoala is however praying for an impressive outing for the Falcons come June for a third visit to Aso Rock. She was given a National Award of MON by President Goodluck Jonathan for her outstanding performance at the 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada and on Super Falcons' return from Namibia, where the team won the AWC title for a record seventh time, Oshoala was once again at the Aso Rock Villa for a Presidential reception.
"Though I felt on top of the world when I won the best player and the top scorer awards in Canada, but receiving a national award from the President of the country is something I still cannot find words to describe till today," Superzee as she is fondly called by teammates admitted.
Oshoala was born October 9, 1994 in Ikorodu, Lagos State. She started her football career in F.C Robo, from there she noticed her talent as a forward but plays as an attacking midfielder for the national teams. She incurred the wrath of her parents when she dropped out of school to pursue a football career.
"Football is my life. I must say a big thank to my first coach at FC Robo- Emmanuel Osahon. He discovered me and gave me my first break, from where I joined Rivers Angels. My parents never supported me at the initial stage but gave me the benefit of doubts," she said.
In spite of Oshoala height in football she still adores former female international, Perpetua Nkwocha for her footwork and accuracy.
"She has great footwork, speed, accuracy in her shots and placement. She’s one of the best products that have come out of Nigeria. Sometimes, during training, I stand back and just watch her do her thing. She’s the best I have ever played with."
What is next for Oshoala after all the accolades at just 20? Only time will tell.